WHAT IS HAPPENING AT FISHERMAN’S WHARF OXNARD?
If you have driven by or live near Fisherman’s Wharf Oxnard, then you know that something must be done to improve this gateway into our community.
Right now, the County of Ventura is partnering with developers on a project at that site that will revitalize Fisherman’s Wharf Oxnard so we can all enjoy it. The proposed project is envisioned as a seaside village that includes a complementary mix of artisan food, beverages, retail, commercial, public uses and 390 high quality, multi-family residential apartments with an architectural design and layout reflecting the unique Channel Island location.
Located at the corner of Victoria Avenue and Channel Islands Boulevard, the proposed waterfront village plan includes:
- Inviting restaurants and retail shops
- Overwater dining deck
- Harbor themed, one-acre public park with a pirate ship
- A 1,000 ft. boardwalk
- Professional, tech-ready offices
- 390 apartment homes with premium views and recreational amenities
How Much Public Input Was Done for the Project?
Over the last several years, several public meetings have been held regarding this project. As an outcome of these public meetings, there were several suggested additions to the project brought forward which were incorporated into the project. Examples include:
- Onsite boat and watersport rentals
- A rotating display of antique cars from the Mullin Automotive Collection
- The prohibition of Airbnb and short-term leasing at the new apartments
- The restoration of the iconic lighthouse
- The inclusion of an artisan wine and cheese shop
- An expanded and landscaped promenade (boardwalk)
- A new public park
- Public dock upgrades
- Outdoor/waterfront dining and amenities
Will Project Amenities Be Open to the Public?
The waterfront promenades around the Harbor, including the new boardwalk, the new park and public seating areas at Fisherman’s Wharf, are fully open to the public, as are all parks within the Harbor. The proposed apartment complex amenities, including swimming pools, gym facilities and tennis courts will be available to apartment tenants only.
Who Will Own the Property?
Ventura County will continue to own and operate the Harbor, including Fisherman’s Wharf Oxnard. The public/private project being proposed would provide for leasing of the property. This is already being done at other Ventura County properties including the large shopping center directly across the street from Fisherman’s Wharf. In addition, the City of Oxnard will receive about $500,000 annually from this project